Time: After baking cupcakes, it took me about 20-30 minutes to decorate.
Mess/Cleanup: I did most of the work on these cupcakes, while my son placed some on the "buttons" on. I was much messier than him. I managed to get frosting all on my hands. But the cleanup was pretty simple.
What You Need:
- Un-iced cupcakes (I colored mine with gel food coloring to make them extra cool)
- Pepperidge Farms Milano Cookies
- White Frosting. Personally I don't like the taste of frosting from the can, so I did make my own buttercream. Making your own icing is VERY easy and only requires a few ingredients (butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and a little coffee creamer). You could easily use store bought frosting.
- Food Coloring (Colors Needed: Purple, Green, 'Flesh'). I like the Wilton Gel Colors. You can also buy Disney Wilton Colors. They pre-package the colors you need. There is a Toy Story theme, like this one.
- Black Edible Color Marker like this. I bought mine at the grocery store.
- Blue Icing Gel
- RedHot Candies
- Sprinkles or Mini Candy Coated Chocolate Chips (need red, blue, and green)
- Sandwich baggies
Making these Buzz cupcakes made me a rockstar in my son's eyes. Enough said.
Mix your frosting colors. You will need the majority of Green and Purple. For the piping, you may need to microwave your frosting for a FEW seconds.
- White - for the mouth and eyes. You could also use white chocolate chips for the eyes.
- Purple - for Buzz's helmet thing and the center of each cupcake.
- Green - for the perimeter of each cupcake.
- Flesh - for the nose
Place each of your colors in a baggie. Right before you use each color, snip a tiny corner off of the bag. Keep the hole pretty small for the purple, white, and flesh colors. This will allow us to easily pipe on the face features.
Lay out all of the cookies. Using the purple, pipe on the helmet thing on each cookie.
Using the Food Writer, draw a swirly to make Buzz's chin.
Using the white frosting, make the eyes and mouth.
Using the flesh-colored frosting, draw the nose.
Using the blue gel, put a little dallop on each eye.
|I know, some of these Buzz's look a little goofy.|
Using the purple icing (snip the open corner again to make the hole in the baggie a little larger), make a swirly in the center of each cupcake. Use the same technique you would use to serve yourself some soft-serve ice cream.
Using the green icing, edge the permiter of each cupcake.
Place the Buzz cookies in the center of each cupcake.
Arrange the sprinkles/candy-coated mini chocolate chips to make Buzz's control panel.
- Blue, Green, Red 'buttons' on the left
- Big Red button (Red Hot candy) on the right