Sunday, December 12, 2010

Mini Ice Cream Sundae Ornaments

Ever since a recent trip to Hobby Lobby, my son has been wanting to make something with the pom-poms I bought.  I originally bought them for my daughter's Halloween costume (she was going to be a cupcake with sprinkles), but sadly the craft supplies sat in my boxes since I ended up buying costume instead.  And now since I have far more free time, I brought out the pom-poms.  Seeing the pom-poms on the craft table, my toddler was immediately facinated.  After repeated attempts to eat them and realizing they weren't food, she decided to stick them in her nose.  So, we quickly had to come up with something to use the pom-poms before they all became booger-covered.  This is what we made (with the clean ones).


Age: 3+
Time: 10 minutes
Mess/Cleanup: The paint did get a little messy.  But at least it was only one color and it was for only about 2 minutes.  Cleanup was a breeze.
What You Need:
  • Jello or Pudding cups
  • Pillow Stuffing (could also use cotton balls)
  • Glitter
  • Glue
  • Pom-Poms
  • Brown paint
  • Hole Punch
  • 6 inches of String/Yarn (if making an ornament)
  • Scrap paper/paper plate

Why I Like This Craft:
This was SO EASY!  Even non-crafters can successfully pull this one off.  We turned our cup into an ornament, so we have yet another trinket to add to the tree.

Step 1:
Squirt some glue in the bottom of the cup.  You can also add a little brown paint (aka Chocolate Sauce).
Step 2:
If you would like to make this sundae into an ornament, punch to holes in either side of the cup and thread the string or yarn.  Press stuffing, "Ice Cream", into the cup.  We did this in layers and added a few drops of glue between the layers to hold it all together.


Step 3:
Mix some brown paint with water.  Pour "Chocolate Sauce" over the "Ice Cream".  We used an extra Jello cup to mix the paint.

Yes, his nails ARE digusting.  Bath night is tonight.

Step 4:
Squirt some glue on the scrap paper.  Have your little one dip the pom-poms in the glue, then place on "Ice Cream".  We reserved a larger red pom-pom for the cherry.

Step 5:
My son really wanted to use some glitter.  So he sprinkled the Martha Stewart glitter (which is very fine) over the "Ice Cream". I think it now looks like Cotton Candy -- which gives me a whole new idea for a craft.  Maybe Cotton Candy Ornaments?  Since the glitter is so fine, we didn't even use glue.

That's it!  I was trying not to be obsessive crafting mom.  This one definitely looks like a 4 year old made it.  But it's cute and it's going on our tree.

-Rose @-}---


No comments:

Post a Comment