This are another ornament that my mom crafted together many moons ago that still hangs on her tree today. My older brother and sister made these after my mom saw them hanging on her neighbor's tree. These are pretty cute and not too difficult to make. This is my adaptation based on what I had available in my craft supplies.
Time: 20 - 40 minutes. This will depend on how intricant you design you drum and what materials you use.
Mess/Cleanup: Not that bad. Since minimal glue is used, only foam, felt and paper scraps need to be thrown away.
What You Need:
- Cardboard Paper Tube
- Foil Tape
- 1 sheet of Self-Adhesive Glitter Craft Foam
- 1 sheet of Self-Adhesive Felt (I bought the foam and felt at Hobby Lobby)
- 2 Mini Pom-Poms
- 2 Toothpicks
- Foil Tape (I bought this at Lowes for a Home Improvement project)
- Couple inches of yarn or ribbon
- Hole Punch
- If you can't find Self-Adhesive Foam or Felt, just use a glue stick to adhere the pieces. Self-adhesive products help reduce the mess.
- Instead of Foil Tape, you can just use some shiny wrapping paper, tin foil, craft foam, or felt to cover the tube.
These cute little drums look great on your Christmas Tree. And I've said it before, my mom has had these on her tree for 30+ years. They'll last for years to come!
Step 1: Drumsticks
Clip off one pointy end from each of the toothpicks. Put a dab of glue on the pointy end and press on the pom-pom. Let dry.
- 2 circles (Glitter foam) - same diameter of tube. Trace the end of the tube onto the glitter foam. Cut out 2 circles
- 2 strips (Glitter foam), about 1/2 inch x 5 1/2 inches
- 6 strips (Felt), about 1/8 inch x 2 inches
- 1 piece of yarn, about 6 inches
- 1 piece of Foil tape, about 5 1/2 inches
Step 5: Punch 2 holes on either side of the tube, about 1/4" from the edge.
Step 6: Thread the yarn through the hole. Tape to affix yarn to tube.
Step 9: Use the felt pieces to create 3 Xs around the drum.
Step 10: Criss-cross the drumsticks around the drum. Use glue on the pom-poms to adhere the drumsticks to the top of the drum. Hang to display.