|I think this kind of looks like someone with a ski cap on.|
Time: 30 minutes +
Mess/Cleanup: All of these kitchen activities are always messy! Sorry! The final product is pretty cute though.
What You Need:
- Vanilla Wafers (like Nilla Wafers)
- Popcicle Sticks or Red Vines Licorice (I think popcicle sticks work much better)
- Candy Melts or Chocolate Chips (I used Wilton Candy Melts with great results)
- Waxed Paper
- Empty Ketchup or Mustard bottle, like this. I bought mine from the dollar tree.
- Cookie filling. I Googled for some filling recipes, and came across this one from Martha Stewart. I made a blackberry version. It's pretty yummy. You could also just use peanut butter or PB&J.
|4 year old ham optional|
In full disclosure, my son was only interested in this cookie craft for about 15 minutes. He was over-tired and over-sugared (darn Christmas cookies!). However, I think the final pop came out pretty good. It took me a while to figure out a simple solution to applying and decorating the pops. Next time I make these I have a plethora of ideas -- like maybe little snowmen heads? little Santa faces? Or for Halloween, cute pumpkins?
|The blackberry filling was a hit with everyone.|
Smear filling on cookies and sandwich 2 wafers together. I think it's easier to make all of your cookie sandwiches first before proceeding to the next step.
Melt chocolate according to package instructions. Be patient. Melt the chocolate slowly. Pour melted chocolate into the empty ketchup bottle. This will make it whole lot easier to apply the chocolate. I also found this "bottle-technique" much more kid-friendly than using baggies to apply icing.
Insert popcicle stick or licorice. Using bottle, run a bead of chocolate around the sandwich. Dip into sprinkles.
Draw a little smiley face and place on waxed paper to dry.
- Snowmen - how cute would this be with a little black hat, coal eyes, carrot nose, and a scarf?
- You can buy orange candy melts and make these into little pumpkins
- Maybe some elves? Add a little red and green hat made out of a fruit roll-up?
- Decorate like Easter eggs
- Use different color candy melts and color a beach ball