Friday, December 17, 2010

Really Tasty Edible Play-Doh (Marshmallow Fondant)


A number of months ago I came across this recipe for marshmallow fondant.  It's so easy to make and you can make a ton of edible decorations.  The possibilities are endless!  Today I decided to create some snowmen and a tree to add to our little Candy Cottage


Our little snowman.
My Lala Loopsy Cake (with oozing strawberry filling)

Age: 3+ (but Moms and Dads can use this recipe to be the rock star and make super cool cupcakes that look like they came from a bakery)
Time: 15 minutes to make the fondant + play time
Mess/Cleanup:  Oooh.  This is another messy craft.  My son, daughter, and I were all covered in powdered sugar!
My toddler didn't enjoy playing with the fondant, but she loved the powdered sugar!
The aftermath!  My pants didn't look much better.


What You Need:
  • 1 package of mini marshmallows
  • 1 teaspoon of mint extract (optional)
  • 4 tablespoons of water
  • 2 pounds powdered sugar
  • Food coloring
Why I Like This Craft:
You can use this fondant for anything!  I decorated my son's Buzz Lightyear rocketship birthday cake by simply by rolling out the fondant and placing it over the cake.  My son played with the "dough" for about an hour.  My daughter just licked the sugar off the table and ate any piece of fondant in sight.  At least it was an activity we could all do together.

Step 1:
Follow these directions from AllRecipes.com.  I do not use any butter and I chose to use mint extract.  It comes out very tasty!  I've also used almond, vanilla, and cherry extract at various times.  All good choices, but mint is my favorite.  I do not recommend using large marshmallows or Marshmallow Fluff.  The texture and taste does not come out the same.

Step 2:
Knead in colors.

Step 3:
Play!  The fondant will not harden.  If you plan on contructing anything, you will need underlying support.  We used large marshmallows, various candy pieces, and toothpicks for a skeleton.
It works just like Play-Doh.  Only it tastes much better!

To make tree, cut out 3 circles - small, medium, large.  Have 2 large marshmallows and a toothpick on hand.
Over each marshmallow, place the fondant.  For the top tier- roll a little ball of fondant and stick on toothpick.  Arrange smallest circle of fondant on top. 

Our little tree.

Variations:
These can make great cupcake toppers!  At Halloween I made these cupcakes by overlaying a circle piece of fondant on a large marshmallow.  Then we just used an edible marker to draw the eyes and mouth.
I used cookie cutters to help with my letters and stars for the Wonder Woman cake.
This was my first attempt with using marshmallow fondant. I used Fluff in this trial.  It came out too oily, that's why I recommend mini marshmallows and lots of powdered sugar.


-Rose @-}---

No comments:

Post a Comment