Thursday, January 27, 2011

Action Figure Paper Dolls - Iron Man

I've created a crafting monster out of my 4-year old ever since we started this blog.  Lately, every night he's been asking what kind of craft we'll be making.  This evening I had a bunch of craft supplies out on the table and he decided he wanted to make an Iron Man.  He ran up to his room to get his action figure and promptly began to trace him.  I grabbed my camera and this is how craft evolved...Iron Man (or any action figure) paper dolls.
He's very proud of his paper Iron Man
Age: 3+
Time: 20+ minutes
Mess/Cleanup: Just some paper scraps.  5 minutes (though my dining room table is still covered with the aftermath)
What You Need:
  • Big Action Figure (we used his 10" Iron Man)
  • Pen
  • 1 sheet of Construction Paper (Red for Iron Man)
  • 1 small sheet of Oak Tag or other stiff paper or flat board
  • 1 Self-Adhesive Jewel (for Iron Man's core)
  • Self-Adhesive Glitter Foam (I really love this stuff. I have found so many uses and it really makes cleanup easier.)
  • Scissors
Why I Like This Craft:
We were just set to settle into the evening of Nick Jr. and Sprout when my son decided he really wanted to do a craft.  I couldn't deny his creativity, so off we went.  The 30 minutes making Iron Man was far better than 30 minutes in front of the TV.  Plus, I think my son had a really good idea.  Paper dolls aren't just for girls.  Heck, sometimes it's hard to think of boy crafts.  He's not all that interested in making tissue paper flowers or hair bows.  I'm glad he thought of this.  He has already requested that we make Batman next. 

Step 1:
Lay out action figure on oak tag and trace.  My son did trace most of this and I was really surprised at how well this worked.  The outline comes out pretty decent.
Step 2:
Cut out shape.

Step 3:
Trace action figure on construction paper to make a "suit".  For the Iron Man novices, in Iron Man 2 he has 2 suits.  We decided to make the red one.
Step 4:
Cut out suit.  When cutting out the suit, be sure to leave some "tabs" so they suit can be folded over the oak tag body.  I did help my son with the cutting of the suit.  I'm sure the tabs would have been snipped off.
Step 5:
Decorate the suit.  We used a jewel for his core.  I also cut up some of the glitter foam to make a helmet and some leg pieces.  Ok, I know this looks a little rough.  But for a 4-year old, this is awesome.
Our decorations are slim.  Bedtime was approaching.
Step 6:
Enjoy your happy kid!

-Rose  @-}---

No comments:

Post a Comment