Monday, October 10, 2011

Slime Time!


For those of you that don't know me, Halloween is my favorite time of year.  For weeks I've been dreaming up new stuff to make that's within theme for this holiday.  Here's a little recipe to make some easy slime jelly.  I've had this little "trick" stored in the back of my brain since I first learned about polymers as a Girl Scout back in the 80s.  It's still fun to make, and now I always have diapers on hand. 

Age: 5+ (I think any younger and they would want to eat the slime.  This is NOT edible!)
Time: 5-10 minutes
Cleanup:  Fairly contained, nearly mess-free!
What You Need:
  • 1 diaper
  • 1 big ziplock bag
  • Scissors
  • Bowl
  • Food Coloring
  • Water
Why I Like this Craft:  This is surprising simple to make; and if you have a non-potty trained little one in your household, you have everything you need!  When you're ready to toss your slime, you can add it to your potting soil.  The polymer will help maintain moisture in your soil.  Pretty clever, huh?

Step 1:  Cut the cotton core out the diaper.  Discard the remaining pieces.

Step 2: Place the cotton in a ziplock bag.  Close tightly.


Step 3: SHAKE IT! (...like a Polaroid picture...).  This will help separate the powder (the polymer) from the cotton.

Step 4: Move all of the powder to one corner of the bag. Cut one corner off of baggie.  Carefully pour the powder into a bowl.

Step 5:  Add water to the bowl and stir.  It's pretty neat to water the powder swell with the water.  When you mix it, it kind of looks like snow.

Step 6:  Add food coloring and enjoy the squishy goo.
Right now is the perfect time to work on your Mad Scientist skills.  Have fun!

-Rose @-}---



No comments:

Post a Comment