Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Super Easy Crayon or Ink Rubbing Card

Seeing as how I have been making my own greeting cards for at least the last 18 years, I figured it was high time for my kid to start making her own birthday cards for her friends.  This was not her first attempt, but it's the first one I've posted on the blog. 

Age:  2+
Time: 5-10 minutes
Mess/Cleanup: Minimal if you use crayons, potentially slightly messy if you use a stamp pad or marker
What you need:
  • Paper
  • Crayons, markers, or stamp pad
  • Something textured to rub-we used a metal tray from World Market.  You could also use a leaf, a brick or decorative iron grate, or even the clean textured sole of a shoe.  (One day Rose or I will post instructions for making your own textured picture to make rubbings of, but I haven't done it yet.  My bet is on Rose doing it first!) 
  • I like the cheap-o non-pigment ink stamp pads the best for this.  The color doesn't end up too over saturated.  Washable markers also help with cleanup
Why I like this craft:  My kid thought up the idea to use a stamp pad instead of a crayon.  I love it when they show their little minds in action!

Step 1:  Put a piece of paper over your textured item.  If you use a leaf or other small, loose item you might want to tape it to a piece of paper with double stick tape first.


Marker in action!  (Notice the short fingernails.  Yeah.  She bites her fingernails now just like her mama.)
 Step 2:  Use a crayon, marker, or stamp pad to rub over the image. 

Younger kids will probably have the best results with the stamp pad.  Kids who can color pretty well will have great results with crayons or pens. 

Feel free to use several colors.

Stamp pad in action!
Step 3:  Fold your paper in half and write a message to that special someone!

Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of the finished product made in January, and it is now March.  So I faked it and made a new card interior for YOU Mr. or Ms. Blog Reader!  Thanks for watching!

--Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment