Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Easy Candy Cups

It seems that all I post anymore are food related crafts.  With lots of parties and holiday we're always whipping up something in the kitchen.  This candy cups evolved when I had a bowl of melted chocolate candy coating and I didn't need to make another 24 lollipops.  My son desperately wanted to lick the bowl, but we did one better - he made his own candy!  And, I realize this not an original crafty-treat, but it's the first time we made them.  I was shocked how yummy they actually tasted.
Age: 2+
Time: 10 minutes +
Cleanup: Its best to clean this little food craft up right away before the chocolate hardens in the bowl. Should only take Mom 5 minutes to clean the bowl, spoon, and silicon cups.
What You Need:
  • 1 bag of Candy Melts/Wafers (I used a different brand this time.  A.C. Moore recently had the Make 'N Mold brand on sale, so we used the Milk Chocolate wafers for these candies.)
  • Silicon Cupcake Cups  (I have ones similar to these)
  • Mix-ins (We used mini marshmallows and raisins. Nuts and/or dried fruit would also work really well.  I was also thinking of maybe trying to put a little peanut butter or raspberry ganache in the middle.  Maybe next time...)
  • Microwave-safe bowl
  • Spoon
Why I Like This Craft:
I really enjoy making treats with my kids.  I know we could buy stuff, but it's so much more fun to make stuff.  And who doesn't love candy?

Step 1:
Melt the chocolate according to package instructions.  Remember to be patient and take your time.  If you chocolate gets too hot it will be lumpy and not look too pretty.  Lower heat and short cooking intervals.

Step 2:
Pour a little chocolate in cup.

Step 3:
Place the mix-ins in cup.  Squeeze sides of cup to get the goodies coated.

Step 4:
Pour a little more chocolate over the mix-ins.  Squeeze sides of cups to level out chocolate.  Use spoon if necessary.

Step 5. 
Let cool.  In about 20 minutes you'll be able to pop the candies out of the cup. 

Tip: Don't make the chocolate too thick. The chocolate does get very hard.  It's kind of hard to bite through a huge mass of chocolate.

-Rose  @-}---

No comments:

Post a Comment