Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Marshmallow and Milk Painting

My friend Jill gave me the idea of using marshmallows for paint stampers.  Last night after dinner I decided to try this out.  The kids were already at the table and my little on was already wearing her smock.  This little craft only requires a few supplies and was perfect for my almost 2 year old to participate.  However, be forewarned - I don't know if I started a bad habit of drinking paint.  My little one fully enjoyed licking the marshmallow and drinking the colored milk!
Age: 18 months+
Time: 20 minutes+
Mess/Cleanup: We did not have any spills, so it was only a few minutes to clear the table and dump the leftover milk.  The kids ate their marshmallows.  And, the milk paint easily came off their hands and faces.
What You Need:
  • Large Marshmallows
  • Craft paper, construction paper, or brown paper bag
  • Milk (about a cup)
  • Food Coloring
  • Spoons
  • Shallow bowls or plates with a deeper rim (see green plate in picture above)
  • Smocks for the little ones
  • Paper towels on hand
What I Like This Craft:
Any craft that both of my kids can do at the same time and that doesn't require a lot of clean-up is always welcome.

Step 1:
Lay out paper and put the smocks on the little ones.

Step 2:
Pour a little milk in each of the bowls/plates.

Step 3:
Add a few drops of food coloring to each bowl and stir.


Step 4:
Distribute the marshmallows and begin stamping.

Step 5:
When my son was done painting, he also enjoying mixing all of the colors.  My daughter thoroughly enjoyed eating the marshmallows.

Good luck!  And hopefully no bad habits are set for future crafting projects with real paint!

-Rose @-}---

No comments:

Post a Comment